Pages

Saturday, August 18, 2012

thai comfort curry

I've always been fascinated by the foods people reach for when they seek comfort.  The stereotypical American comfort foods of donuts or french fries or potato chips and the likes have never held appeal for me. Instead, I think I was influenced more than a little by spending a few of my formative years in Asia.  Thai food is my number one comfort food, partly because I love the mixture of coconut, basil and spice, and partly because it is quick and easy to make.

Tonight I found myself home alone after a very active day out of the house, so I didn't much feel like putting much effort into dinner or eating cereal.  This meal is wonderful because it comes together so quickly and still tastes so wonderfully fresh and nutritious.

Ingredients:
Thai curry paste of your choice (available at Asian markets and many supermarkets)
1 14 oz can coconut milk
juice of 1 lemon
a handful of basil
a handful of cherry tomatoes
6 oz fish (I used salmon)
vegetables like red peppers, summer squash, cabbage, carrots, snow peas, mushrooms
cooked rice

Heat about 1/3 of the coconut milk in a pan on low heat and add curry paste to taste (1-2 tsp to begin with).  Mix until you have a consistent liquid.  Add vegetables and cook until peppers and carrots are somewhat soft but still a bit crunchy.  Add the remaining coconut milk, the basil and the cherry tomatoes and heat through.  When the sauce is hot, mash the cherry tomatoes against the side of the pot so they release their juice into the sauce.  Add fish and heat thoroughly.  If you don't like fish, you could use beef or chicken, but I would cook them separately first.  When all is well heated through, turn off the stove and add the lemon juice.  Stir well and serve over rice.  Enjoy with a glass of cold white wine.



























Please excuse the poor picture quality.  I did not think to share this recipe until just before I sat down to eat, and it was already dark out.  Oh well, so it goes.


No comments:

Post a Comment